CDT is for anyone 16+ years interested in dance. We do dance for the art, not for exams, so no eisteddfods or competitions at CDT!
Who are the classes for?
- Adults who enjoy dance and movement, at any level.
- Dancers wishing to develop further skills, maintain technique and fitness through technique classes.
- Dance artists, including performers, teachers, choreographers and community dance practitioners.
- People interested in being involved Canberra Dance Theatre performance opportunities.
- Actors, musicians, visual artists, circus performers, calisthenics and gymnastic competitors.
How much dance experience do I need?
- CDT has classes for absolute beginners and classes for those after a challenge! Each class on our timetable has a suggested level of experience (e.g. Basics, Beginners, Elementary, Intermediate, Advanced).
- Please check the Notes for First-Timers for Beginner Ballet and Hilal classes for detail about the class content.
How do I enrol in a class?
- Check out our latest and updated timetable on Bookeo or view the regular semester timetable on our website.
- Book and pay for your class now on Bookeo and simply attend the studio! Our admin assistant will mark you off the roll when you come in. You can also register and pay at the studio 10 minutes before class commences.
- Please tell the instructor of any relevant injuries or conditions before the class begins.
- Bring a bottle of water to sip during the class.
How can I take advantage of CDT’s First Time Offer?
- First time students at CDT can attend a First Time Offer trial week.
- See our admin assistant at the studio 15 minutes before your first class to register and pay.
- Present your receipt over the next week to attend any class and see what is on offer. You will also be able to book your free trial classes on Bookeo.
My first time – what should I wear?
- Clothes should be comfortable and allow you to bend and stretch easily. Exercise clothes are perfect so long as they are not baggy. Dress like you’d dress for a gym. You can buy dance wear as you become more comfortable in class, but that is not a requirement.
- Bare feet or socks are suitable for most classes on the full sprung ballet floor. Ballet shoes can be worn at the discretion of the individual but are recommended. CDT Members get a 10 per cent discount at Attitude Dancewear in Mitchell!
- If unsure about clothing or footwear please discuss this with your teacher before class.
Do you run children’s ballet classes?
No. However, we can suggest:
- QL2 Dance for a non-competitive & performance contemporary youth dance company;
- Kim Harvey School of Dance for ballet classes for children of all ages, with an RAD syllabus; or
- Dance Northside for a community-based dance studio with a wide range of styles.
Does CDT run classes for young people with additional needs?
Yes! CDTribe is perfect. Age appropriate, energetic and creative dance for 12 to 22 year old children and teenagers with additional needs, with parent participation.