Expressions of Interest for Canberra Dance Theatre’s Artist in Residence program are now invited for 2024.
Canberra Dance Theatre (CDT) is a leading community dance organisation in Canberra. We offer classes, workshops and performance opportunities to adults and young people with special needs. Through our Artist in Residence program we support and promote interaction with the local dance community.
The Artist in Residence program offers complimentary access to our beautiful studio and/or
opportunities to explore choreographic practice with a group of CDT dancers. The program is open to artists at any stage of their career. Artists may work in dance or have a cross disciplinary practice that incorporates dance.
CDT’s studio is located on the edge of the Australian National University campus on the corner of Barry Drive and Kingsley Street. It is just over 185 sqm in size with a sprung dance floor. Containing plenty of natural light, the studio is air conditioned and equipped with mirrors, ballet barres, sound system and WiFi. CDT is fully wheelchair accessible. There is plenty of parking available in surrounding streets.
What you’ll receive
- Access to the CDT Studio (at a time when it is not already booked for regular classes or a regular hirer) for a maximum of 2 hours a week for your own non-commercial activity. See the studio booking calendar for available times
- Promotion of your artistic work through CDT channels.
- Complimentary participation in CDT regular dance classes – 1 class per week for the duration of your residency.
What is asked of you
- Offer at least one workshop to the CDT community.
- Promote your relationship with CDT in your own publicity.
- Engage in a creative exploration with a group of CDT dancers and/or make a dance work on them that can be performed either at a Canberra based event or festival and/or for a CDT House Party.
- Rehearsals could be weekly or in a block.
- Details of work, including length, would be negotiated with the Artist in Residence.
- If this work is performed, you will receive a performance fee, with the amount to be negotiated.
- Performance opportunity of your own work at CDT Studio Parties (June and December).
How to Apply
Your Expression of Interest should comprise:
- Your name
- Your contact details
- A brief description of your artistic practice and details of what you intend to do during your residency, including anticipated outcomes (maximum 500 words)
- Proposed dates of residency
- Preferred time to access the studio
- Interest in working with a group of CDT dancers
- Strategies to promote your relationship with CDT
- Professional biography (maximum 500 words)
- Excerpts of previous work, if applicable
Please submit your Expression of Interest by email to AC8CDT@gmail.com.
- You will receive acknowledgement of your submission.
- CDT will endeavour to reply to your EOI within 10 working days.
- Direct requests for further information to AC8CDT@gmail.com.
Criteria for selection
- Demonstration of good fit between artist and CDT’s philosophy of community dance.
- Evidence of benefits to artist of this residency.
- Evidence of benefits to the wider dance community.
- Evidence of benefits to CDT of this residency.
The Artist-in-Residence Selection Committee comprises the Artistic Director of CDT, a Board Member of CDT and the Director of Ausdance ACT.